“People inspire you, or they drain you – pick them wisely.”
We all know that having good friends that lift us up, motivate us and give us all around positive energy are the best kind of friends. I consider myself as a very unique and different person. Especially in our society, I definitely feel like an outsider. So with that being said, making good friends has been tough… to say the least, but fortunately I can say that I have, overtime learnt how to attract the right people.
Why it’s important:
I think that we really underestimate the impact people have on our lives. If you are unhappy at the moment, take a look at who you surround yourself with. Do you talk about positive, motivating, encouraging things when you are out with friends? Or do you gossip, complain, and all just talk about how bad life is? People are energy. If you are around negative people, negative talk, you are around negative energy. You cannot lead a happy and positive life, and feel great when you are constantly surrounded by negative energy. No matter how independent you are, no matter how much you think that you are unaffected by the people around you, there is some sort of impact that comes with being around certain people for a long time. If you are friends with someone who constantly criticizes other people’s looks, you will slowly, but surely end up doing the same. If you are with someone who always eats healthy and works out and is obsessed with fitness and health, you will eventually have some sort of interest in fitness and health and you probably will work out and eat healthier than you did before knowing that person. It is innate. If you look at history, you will see what I’m talking about. So, not to drag this part on any longer, simply: in order to be a better and happier person, you need to be around the right people, and in order to do that, you need to learn how to attract the right people.
How to do it:
- Look within yourself first. – Before taking a step to attract people into your life, you need to evaluate yourself first. Are you happy with yourself? What are you strengths and weaknesses? What do you want out of a friendship? “You attract the right things when you have a sense of who you are.”
- Put yourself out there. – People will get a sense of your personality, your interests and naturally, people who are similar to you will be attracted to you.
- Say yes more. – Engage in more conversations; be open to meeting new people. Make time for friends.
- Listen more. – Get to know people. Like REALLY get to know them. This is the ultimate way to have any sort of connection with anyone.
- Be picky, but not TOO picky. – I have a lot to say on this topic because it is the number 1 thing that has prevented me from meeting the right people. It is good to be picky in a way, especially when you know what type of people you want in your life. Although sometimes being too picky might make it impossible for you to make friends. My advice is: be picky with the right things. Like if the person is a positive influence, if they are adding not taking away from your life, if they are providing some sort of happiness to your life, if they show you respect, if they make time for you and so on. Don’t focus on what they wear or what music they like and surface-level things like that, because although it is nice to bond over your love for Taylor Swift with each other, the deeper things matter more here. So if you’re picking friends based off of how pretty they are or the common TV Shows you like, or how similar they are to you in those ways you won’t be so lucky. I used to think that having a real friend meant having someone who was basically my twin, but now I realize that you can bond with others over the same morals and values you both have and it will be a much more meaningful bond.
- The right people will come your way once you put that energy out there. – When you are open to making new friendships, and you put yourself out there, sooner or later, the right people who belong in your life will be there.
“Souls that resemble attract inevitability.”
If you have any tips of your own to share, please do! I’m always happy to learn more.
Find me here → Instagram